Sunday, August 12, 2012

Passing the time



Is it time to go to the airport to pick up daddy?

One thing that is hard when a parent leaves is filling the time while the other is gone.  My son is now old enough to grasp that it will be a while before his dad comes home, but isn't able to understand how long that is exactly.  So to help him I showed him the calendar with "here is today, here is when Daddy gets home".  That was ok but then he kept asking is it August yet?  So we made a construction paper ring chain with as many links as days daddy will be gone.


The craft in its self was fun Triston loves to cut with scissors and we used a stapler to hold them together.  But before I put the chains on I put the day/date on them and added a daily activity to do for the day! I added the day of the week because  on certain days I know I have to do something so the activity on those days I knew to put near/with that day.  Also I am a big lets save money so much activities are free, if not they are under 5 dollars.  

So here are the activities:

  • Making wax paper sun catcher
  • Park Date
  • Chalk Day -Im excited about this because our driveway always looks so fun after
  • A trip to Walmart- I planned this to get supplies for any of the others ones I do not have. This day he gets to choose which bubbles he wants, which chocolate chips he wants to bake with, and all that jazz. So its his choice of the things I already planned on the chain.
  • Movie night- make popcorn and do a craft related to the movie he chooses in the morning.  
  • Plant flowers- we need to plant a few flowers in the front why not make it a fun activity for him.
  • Make the living room into a fort- I wanted to do camping outside but we have no tent......so that was out. 
  • RIde Bike in the park
  • bubble day
  • Frozen Discovery  - I tinted the water blue and added some of his own toys. I also used one of the old ice cream buckets I acquired.  
  • make a chalk wall- For his Birthday I had gotten a plywood board and taped balloons filled little toys for them to throw darts at (I'll make a blog later about that party as it was super fun).  Well we never got around to using it again so I am going to take some of it paint it with chalk paint and put it up in our house. (so we spare from actually painting a wall, we move every 3 years and our time is up here so that would be no good.)
  • Sprinkler day
  • Scavenger Hunt
  • Make cookies
  • GO TO AIRPORT

A few of them I put in the link twice.  But there are a number of possibilities for this.  You can make ones for Christmas with good deeds to do in the spirit of Christmas, till Nana or Grandpa arrive, or for us until we move.  Plus if you live in a bigger city then you have more at your finger tips.  But you can find fun stuff to do where ever.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes :) 

1 comment:

  1. Love this ! well def be doing this for our 2.5 months without daddy time <3

    ReplyDelete